Monday, March 21, 2011

Typography & Graphic Design

I chose to do this course during Term 3 last year. Even though I had been using photoshop for several years, it was my first time using Illustrator and it was relatively unfamiliar to me. At first I started out kind of slow and was quite limited by this, but once I was more familiar I think I became better at designing.

To start off, Mrs Tan made us represent a word without using colour.





After that, we learnt more about what colour and shape could effect on a design -- for example, red and intersecting lines created tension. Then we had more words to represent, but this time we had to use colour. It was hard to think up words and ideas, and this is what happened.

Playful:
Congestion:
Inspiration:

Finally, we were given our last assignment: to design a CD cover based on a song we liked. I chose Belle of the Boulevard by Dashboard Confessional. This time we could use anything we could think of, except that we were restricted to the vectors already provided by Mrs Tan.

I liked how my front cover turned out, but the back not so much -- I think I tried to put do much with the different fonts and colours -- but overall I think it turned out quite nicely. Besides, compared to the start of the course, I became much more adept.


1 comment:

  1. You do have a good sense for design... photography and design for coursework?

    ReplyDelete