I'm doing a visual representation of four idioms:
1. Paper Tiger (a seemingly threatening thing that is actually powerless)
2. Tempest in a Teapot (a major fuss over a trivial matter)
3. Elephant in the Room (an obvious truth that is being ignored for the comfort of those involved)
4. Building Castles in the Air (to daydream)
Recently I've been thinking about the idea of using textures to make my idioms a set, inspired by pretty things like this.

The above is my (very) rough draft of #4, just to see how it would look like, since I needed to know if my idea was feasible or not. In the end I think it turned out quite okay for a draft, so I moved on to Paper Tiger.
I experimented by using layer masks to give textures to different parts of the tiger's face. Since I wanted to convey the powerlessness of a paper tiger, I decided to use floral textures. The below image had a rainbow gradient overlaid on it. It was pretty, but not as paper-like as I'd hoped.

I also tried experimenting with a bunch of different textures I took off google. I overlapped them to make the background and erased bits of it with torn paper brushes to make it look kind of like it was a paper collage, except I don't think it worked very well.

Since none of these were papery enough to satisfy me, Mr Chang suggested that I tear up paper myself and use it as a background. I also needed to see how crumpled paper would look, so I scanned both in and this resulted in the first two images below. When I combined the two (so that the background would be both torn and crumpled), I obtained the image on the right, which I'm quite happy with.

Most likely, this is what my final image for Paper Tiger will look like.
Three more to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment