Sunday, February 20, 2011

Drawing Styles

Sometime last year, we were asked to experiment with different drawing styles and materials. We had to do doodles, gestural drawings, contour drawings and observational drawings.






I did most of the gestural drawings first because I thought they were the easiest to do and also the fastest. Plus, I liked being messy and not having to worry about getting everything right. However, it took a while to get my proportions right, and I couldn't for some of them -- except for the drawing of the hippo-phone, which was a nice change.

After I finished the gestural drawings, I spent a large portion of the time in a rush trying to finish the drawings on time (we were given until the end of the lesson to draw). Halfway through I realised that no one was going to finish them on time anyway, so I just drew and decided to finish things at home.






Since we had to use different things to draw with, I tried using the crayon and the charcoal. It could probably have turned out better.

The rest of the drawings I completed at home.







In conclusion, this exercise showed me that I needed to work more on proportion. A year later, I think I still do. At any rate, it was good practice and I learnt new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment